Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: 9/11 mastermind’s plea blocked: US court scraps deal; backs Pentagon’s authority – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > 9/11 mastermind’s plea blocked: US court scraps deal; backs Pentagon’s authority – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

9/11 mastermind’s plea blocked: US court scraps deal; backs Pentagon’s authority – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: July 11, 2025 6:10 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


9/11 mastermind’s plea blocked: US court scraps deal; backs Pentagon’s authority

A federal appeals court in Washington, DC has thrown out a proposed plea deal for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, effectively halting what was expected to be a major development in one of the most prolonged military prosecutions in US history. In a 2-1 decision, the court ruled that then-Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin had acted within his authority when he blocked the agreement last year, a move that prosecutors said was necessary to preserve public confidence in the military tribunal process.The deal, which had taken two years to negotiate and had been approved by military prosecutors and senior Pentagon officials, would have seen Mohammed and two co-defendants plead guilty in exchange for life imprisonment without parole. The agreement also included a commitment from the defendants to answer victims’ families’ lingering questions. But Austin intervened, arguing that such a significant decision—removing the death penalty from consideration—should be made only by the defence secretary.“Having properly assumed the convening authority, the Secretary determined that the ‘families and the American public deserve the opportunity to see military commission trials carried out.’ The Secretary acted within the bounds of his legal authority, and we decline to second-guess his judgment,” wrote Judges Patricia Millett and Neomi Rao.In a strong dissent, Judge Robert Wilkins wrote: “The government has not come within a country mile of proving clearly and indisputably that the Military Judge erred.”Mohammed, now 59, appeared in court earlier this week dressed in traditional clothing, his beard dyed bright orange. Asked by the judge if he was pleading guilty to all charges “without exceptions or substitutions,” his lawyer replied, “Yes, we can, Your Honour.” But before the plea could be officially entered, the court was informed that the deal had been paused.Many of the victims’ relatives had flown to Guantanamo Bay to witness the proceedings, only to learn at the last minute that the pleas would not proceed. “It’s like a perpetual limbo… It’s like constant whiplash,” said Elizabeth Miller, whose firefighter father died in the attacks.With the case now back in limbo, any resolution appears unlikely until after the next US administration takes office. Guantanamo Bay, once home to nearly 800 detainees, now holds just 15 men, most of whom have not been convicted.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article ‘Dan Bongino left meeting angry’: Massive clash in White House over ‘missing minute’. Who will take the fall for Epstein case? – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article Was Epstein’s video manipulated before release? What is ‘missing minute’? – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • UAE: How Abu Dhabi is successfully using AI traffic lights to cut congestion and improve traffic flow | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Horrific murder’: Zelenskyy confirms ex-speaker Parubiy shot dead; vows probe – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Trump Is Dead’ viral trend: How it started, Trump’s health update, and what happens if a sitting president dies – Delhi News Daily
  • Mahagathbandhan’s Seat Math: Unity Or Discord In Bihar? – Delhi News Daily
  • When Mahesh Babu said “Bollywood can’t afford me”: A throwback to the ‘SSMB29’ actor’s controversial remark | Telugu Movie News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

Indian Professional US Meeting: ‘Couldn’t understand accent’ Indian professional asked to stay quiet during meetings in US- shares ordeal | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

An Indian professional working in the United States claimed that they were asked to "stop speaking" in meetings as co-workers…

5 Min Read
World News

‘Abuse of system’: Cuomo proposes ‘Zohran’s Law’ to bar affluent New Yorkers from rent-stabilised apartments; suggests ‘means test’ in bill – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Former New York governor Andrew Cuomo, left, and mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani (Image credits: AP) Former New York governor and…

6 Min Read

‘If a Jewish doctor…’: Indian-origin professor Rupa Marya sues University of California for suspending her over social media post on Israel – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Indian-origin Dr Rupa Marya sued University of California for suspending her. Dr Rupa Marya, an Indian-American professor of medicine at…

5 Min Read
World News

Who is Xi Jinping’s daughter Xi Mingze? Will she be deported out of US? – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Xi Jinping's daughter reportedly lives in Massachusetts though nothing about her is known. MAGA activist Laura Loomer threatened that she…

5 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?