Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: A joke that turned serious: Rubio exits USAID role; hands shutdown to Vought – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > A joke that turned serious: Rubio exits USAID role; hands shutdown to Vought – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

A joke that turned serious: Rubio exits USAID role; hands shutdown to Vought – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: August 29, 2025 7:16 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


A joke that turned serious: Rubio exits USAID role; hands shutdown to Vought
Marco Rubio and Donalfd Trump (File – AP)

US secretary of state Marco Rubio on Friday announced he is stepping back from his role overseeing the US agency for international development (USAID), handing off responsibilities to office of management and budget director Russ Vought as the agency enters its final phase of shutdown.In a post on X, Rubio wrote congratulating Russ, “I joked with @realDonaldTrump that I had four jobs. He told me to give one to my friend Russ Vought. So I did,” “Since January, we’ve saved the taxpayers tens of billions of dollars. And with a small set of core programs moved over to the State Department, USAID is officially in close out mode,” he added. “Russ is now at the helm to oversee the closeout of an agency that long ago went off the rails. Congrats, Russ.”While the OMB has yet to confirm if Vought will serve as acting administrator of USAID or act in a designee role under Rubio, the move adds to his current portfolio, which includes heading the consumer financial protection bureau and leading Trump’s budget team. Vought also played a central role in shaping Project 2025, a conservative policy framework developed by The Heritage Foundation, according to Politico.USAID, once a key independent agency delivering international aid, has been gradually dismantled under the Trump administration. Earlier this year, President Trump appointed Rubio as acting administrator, and by March, 83% of its programmes – including those focused on food, water and medical aid – had been cut. The remaining functions were absorbed by the State Department on July 1.The restructuring followed a January executive order by Trump that froze a wide range of foreign and domestic aid programmes, targeting what the administration described as “woke” spending across federal agencies. More recently, in a letter sent Thursday to House Speaker Mike Johnson and later shared on the White House Office of Management and Budget’s X account, President Donald Trump said he was invoking a “pocket rescission” – a budgetary tool that lets the president allow allocated funds to expire without direct action. Since Congress has only 45 days to respond, Trump’s late August submission makes it nearly certain the funds will lapse unused when the fiscal year ends on September 30.There has been a consistent effort by the Trump administration to use the all possible tools at their disposal, like shutting down aid delivery agencies like USAID to pocket recession, along with other policy decision and recission proposals to substantially reduce the amount of money US spends on critical and humanitarian foreign aid, which they believe don’t serve the purpose.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Trump Strips Kamala Harris of Protection Days Before Book Tour, Explosive Letter Revealed – Delhi News Daily
Next Article News18 BJP Objects, Ally JDS Says No Problem Over Banu Mushtaq Inaugurating Mysuru Dasara – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • ‘Diplomatic embarrassment’: Hours before tariff ruling,Trump team sought delay – what they told court – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘No power to impose’: US court declares most tariffs illegal; Trump says ‘total disaster for country’ – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • US issues travel warning to China: ‘Enhanced precautions’ urged amid disease spread; Beijing revives COVID-era measures – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • Oyo secures board nod to file for IPO with stronger financial outlook: Sources – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Wrote To Sonia Gandhi’: Jamiat Chief Sparks Row Over Remark On Himanta Biswa, BJP Reacts – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

US soldiers arrive in Panama for military exercises – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Representative Image (AI-generated) US soldiers have arrived in Panama for military exercises aimed at protecting the Panama Canal, the US…

4 Min Read
World News

‘Return to the land’: Group sets up all-white town in Arkansas; civil rights activists raise alarm – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

(Image credit: RTTL X handle) An extremist ethnonationalist organisation has established an exclusively white settlement in a secluded area of…

8 Min Read
World News

Who is Matt Deitke? 24-year-old AI genius who rejected Meta’s $125 million offer and then Mark Zuckerberg personally met him with a doubled package | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

In the rapidly evolving world of artificial intelligence, few names have made waves quite like Matt Deitke. At just 24,…

7 Min Read
World News

Myanmar junta air strike on ruby mine hub kills 13 – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

YANGON: A Myanmar junta air strike on a rebel-occupied ruby mining hub killed 13 people on Saturday, according to a…

5 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?