Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: Minnesota church shooting: Did Trump administration cuts weaken security? Critics blame lost funding for missed red flags – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > Minnesota church shooting: Did Trump administration cuts weaken security? Critics blame lost funding for missed red flags – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

Minnesota church shooting: Did Trump administration cuts weaken security? Critics blame lost funding for missed red flags – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: August 31, 2025 2:29 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


Minnesota church shooting: Did Trump administration cuts weaken security? Critics blame lost funding for missed red flags
Representative image (Picture credit: AP)

Weeks before a gunman opened fire at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis, killing two children and injuring 18 others, the Trump administration cut funding for a Minnesota program intended to prevent acts of mass violence, according to documents cited by the New York Times.In July, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced $18.5 million in spending cuts from the Center for Prevention Programs and Partnerships (CP3). About $700,000 of that funding had been allocated to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) for roles aimed at preventing targeted violence and terrorism. DPS Commissioner Bob Jacobson wrote to the state’s congressional delegation at the time that “without this funding, our capacity to protect our communities from targeted violence and terrorism will be significantly diminished.”DPS spokesperson Jill Oliveira was quoted as saying by the New York Times that since the cuts, the agency had cancelled a statewide training conference and redirected resources to cover costs. Previous CP3 funding, she said, supported training for law enforcement, schools, and faith institutions in threat prevention. The Trump administration argued the program was misused. In its letter to Minnesota authorities, DHS said CP3 grants were “no longer in line” with its priorities, citing immigration enforcement, border security and combating antisemitism. A Homeland Security official said in a statement that CP3 had been used for “left-wing ideologies and did next to nothing to combat actual threats.” The official also said that many grants had gone to groups that “celebrated and encouraged transgenderism in children,” a remark that drew criticism from Democrats.The cuts also impacted the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, which had received about $100,000 for multidisciplinary threat-assessment work, according to CNN. A former DHS employee told the outlet the Minneapolis attack was “100% preventable. This was exactly the kind of event we could have stopped.”The assailant, Robin Westman, left behind journals expressing surprise at evading detection. “Should be harder for people like me to carry out these attacks,” he wrote, as reported by CNN.In one journal entry, he wrote, “I have been showing signs for a while. I need to be stopped! … If I did something, they would say it was obvious in hindsight.”Jacob Ware, a research fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, was quoted as saying by CNN that “the capacity to combat domestic terrorism is eroding. It seems like the focus on prevention has slipped in this country.”Minnesota lawmakers criticised the decision. Sen. Tina Smith said, “This shooting was horrific, and to think we had a strategy in place aimed at preventing this type of violence is tragic.” Rep. Betty McCollum added that cancelling the grant “limits our state law enforcement from access to vital federal counterterrorism partners and resources and leaves Minnesota communities more vulnerable.”The attack followed an earlier June assassination plot that killed a state representative and her husband and wounded a senator and his wife, events that further fuel concerns about weakened prevention efforts.After the shooting, US First Lady Melania Trump urged more proactive measures, posting on X, “To prevent future tragedies, it is crucial we look into behavioural threat assessments across all levels of society … Being aware of these warning signs and acting quickly can save lives and make American communities safer.”





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article F&O Talk| Nifty ends August lower amid global headwinds; key support now at 24,250: Sudeep Shah – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘Use paper ballots only’: Donald Trump vows executive order on voter ID; seeks mail-in voting only for ill and military – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Suryakumar Yadav press conference: How SKY trolled India-Pakistan rivalry – Delhi News Daily
  • Assam Congress Claims Bhupen Borah Withdrew Resignation, He Says ‘Not Yet’ – Delhi News Daily
  • Imports up 19% in January as India’s trade deficit widens to $34.68 bn – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Do well, kid, I am rooting for you’: Kangana Ranaut pens heartfelt note for ‘Dhurandhar’ star Sara Arjun | Hindi Movie News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • Assam To Kerala, Divided The Congress Stands: Decoding Party’s Turmoil Across 4 Poll Battlegrounds – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

ICE barred from racial profiling in Los Angeles sweeps – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

A federal judge in Los Angeles issued a temporary order barring US immigration authorities from stopping people for questioning without…

4 Min Read
World News

5.2 magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

An earthquake of 5.2 magnitude struck Pakistan at 3:54 am IST on Sunday, the National Centre for Seismology reported. No…

3 Min Read
World News

Saudi Arabia launches Middle East’s first all-female sea ranger corps in its royal reserve | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

The new all-female sea ranger corps will patrol the Reserve’s 170-kilometer Red Sea coastline, safeguarding marine and terrestrial ecosystems/ Image:…

9 Min Read
World News

‘It’s an op, dude’: Bombshell texts reveal how Bannon secretly helped Epstein rehab his image – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

A lot of names have been released in the Jeffrey Epstein case, and one of them is "Steve Bannon," a…

12 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?