Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: ‘Press doesn’t run Pentagon’: Pete Hegseth imposes new rules for reporters; limits free movement within building – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > ‘Press doesn’t run Pentagon’: Pete Hegseth imposes new rules for reporters; limits free movement within building – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

‘Press doesn’t run Pentagon’: Pete Hegseth imposes new rules for reporters; limits free movement within building – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: September 20, 2025 11:50 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


'Press doesn’t run Pentagon': Pete Hegseth imposes new rules for reporters; limits free movement within building

US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth has introduced sweeping new restrictions on press access to the Pentagon. This move have sparked concern among media organizations over potential limits on independent reporting and transparency.In a post on X, Hegesth wrote, “The press does not run the Pentagon—the people do”. He added that the reporters would no longer be allowed to “roam the halls of a secure facility” without restrictions.Under the new policy, announced on Friday, reporters will be required to agree to strict conditions in order to retain their building access. The rules prohibit what the Pentagon describes as “unprofessional conduct that might serve to disrupt operations,” as well as any attempts to improperly obtain classified or even certain unclassified information deemed sensitive, as reported by ABC News. According to a memo sent to press outlets, reporters who refuse to accept the new terms or are found in violation will lose their Pentagon access badges. Those without badges will only be allowed entry if accompanied by an escort and with a stated purpose for their visit.The Pentagon, one of the largest office complexes in the world, has traditionally allowed accredited journalists workspace and 24-hour access to certain areas to facilitate real-time reporting on defense matters, including during wartime.If enforced, the new policy could mark the first time major national news outlets lose around-the-clock access to unclassified Pentagon spaces.Media representatives and former correspondents expressed alarm at the shift. Barbara Starr, a former CNN Pentagon correspondent, said the rules reflected “unprecedented hostility from the secretary of defense to the news media” and questioned how the new standards would be applied in practice.“Everyone understands possession of classified information is illegal,” she said. “But it’s the responsibility of the officials who journalists speak to, to say, ‘I can’t talk about that. It’s classified.”Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell defended the move, saying the new guidelines were “basic, common-sense measures” already in line with policies at other US military bases. “They are intended to protect sensitive information, national security and the safety of everyone working at the Pentagon,” he said.The Pentagon Press Association has said it is reviewing the directive. The new rules will be phased in starting next week, as current reporter badges expire.Current regulations allow reporters to be searched when leaving the Pentagon, a long-standing measure to prevent the unauthorized use of classified information.Earlier this year, Secretary Hegseth directed that reporters should not be allowed to walk through certain hallways without an escort, even if the areas are unclassified. Under the new rules, reporters will still be restricted from accessing most areas beyond the food court and will be required to exchange their regular badges for bright red or orange passes.The new policy also states that the head of Pentagon police “shall deny, revoke, or refuse to renew the PFAC [Pentagon Facility Access Credential] of any person reasonably determined to pose a security or safety risk to Department of War personnel or property.”That standard would include such acts as treason and terrorism. But it also would include “unprofessional conduct that might serve to disrupt Pentagon operations,” the new policy stated.“Additionally, actions other than conviction may be deemed to pose a security or safety risk, such as attempts to improperly obtain CNSI [classified national security information] or CUI [confidential unclassified information], or being found in physical possession of CNSI or CUI without reporting,” according to the memo.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article ‘Spotted in grey shirt and hat’: Video of Tyler Robinson from 2022 resurfaces; shows him in Utah car crash – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘Tell sir Isaac Newton..’: Erika Kirk posts emotional video of Charlie Kirk teaching daughter Physics; netizens shower love and support – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Assam To Kerala, Divided The Congress Stands: Decoding Party’s Turmoil Across 4 Poll Battlegrounds – Delhi News Daily
  • Fortis Healthcare maintains strong growth momentum, eyes expansion – Delhi News Daily
  • दिल्ली दुनिया के 10 सबसे प्रदूषित शहरों की लिस्ट से बाहर, जानें सूची में अब कौन-कौन से शहर – Delhi News Daily
  • Mike Hesson press conference: ‘Ishan took the game away from us’ after India beat Pakistan – Delhi News Daily
  • Ex-Assam Congress Chief Bhupen Borah Resigns, Blames Gaurav Gogoi’s High-Handedness – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

Why are Disguised Toast and Nina Lin facing backlash? Uncomfortable massage clip blows up amid Twitch drama – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Why are Disguised Toast and Nina Lin facing backlash? Uncomfortable massage clip blows up amid Twitch drama (Image via Getty)…

6 Min Read
World News

Israel-Iran war: Donald Trump says will not kill Khamenei ‘for now’, demands unconditional surrender – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

US President Donald Trump (Pic credit: AP) US President Donald Trump on Tuesday stepped up his rhetoric against Iran's supreme…

5 Min Read

Ballymena riots: Fires rage as protests over alleged assault fuel anti-immigrant unrest in Northern Ireland – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

More than 30 police officers have been injured in Northern Ireland after two nights of violent rioting in Ballymena, triggered…

6 Min Read
World News

No US visa for fact checkers, content moderators because ‘Trump’s social media accounts were once locked’ – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

The Donald Trump administration has moved to deny visas to fact-checkers, content moderators who have engaged in "censoring the free…

5 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?