Last Updated:
Rajeev Chandrasekhar criticises Pinarayi Vijayan for opposing The Kerala Story 2, calling it hypocrisy and election distraction.

Vijayan took to X and expressed strong opposition to reports of a sequel to The Kerala Story. (File photos)
Kerala BJP Chief Rajeev Chandrasekhar on Thursday lashed out at state Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan over his “hate-mongering film” remarks on the upcoming film ‘The Kerala Story 2’, saying that the latter is attempting to “distract people” ahead of the assembly elections.
Chandrasekhar said that Vijayan had only “45 days more as Chief Minister” and alleged that his comments were aimed at diverting attention from what he termed the government’s “10 years of failure”.
The former Union Minister further called out Vijayan’s “hypocrisy” saying that when a movie was released which was against the saffron camp, Vijayan hailed it as Freedom of Expression, but when a movie was made against his political thinking, it suddenly became a problem.
“Pinarayi Vijayan has 45 days more as Chief Minister, and he knows that on the 46th day, he is going to have to move his residence. When a movie came out which is against the BJP, we did not protest or say anything. He quoted Freedom of Expression. How is it that when somebody else makes a movie against his political thinking, it suddenly becomes a problem? This is hypocrisy. This is basically an attempt to distract the people of Kerala from his 10 years of failure,” he said as quoted by news agency ANI.
#WATCH | Delhi: Regarding Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan’s stance on ‘The Kerala Story 2’ movie, Kerala BJP President Rajeev Chandrasekhar says, “Pinarayi Vijayan has 45 days more as Chief Minister, and he knows that on the 46th day, he is going to have to move his residence… When… pic.twitter.com/PGh75SICa2— ANI (@ANI) February 19, 2026
He asserted that filmmakers have the right to make movies and audiences have the right to watch them.
“Nobody has appointed you protector. There is no need for you to act like you’re a protector of any community. Every Indian today, every Malayali, is given the same fundamental rights. Stop making fools out of people. This movie will be shown because just as much as you have the right to watch a movie, I have the right to watch a movie. Just as any director has the right to make a movie, this director also has the right to make a movie,” he said.
Chandrasekhar further said that if there was anything illegal in the film, the matter should be taken to court rather than “threatening people”.
“If you have a problem with it, and if there is something illegal in the movie, go to court. But don’t try to threaten people. Don’t try to use your Chief Minister’s position to create fear amongst people that we will not allow,” he added.
What Vijayan Said?
Earlier in the day, Vijayan took to X and expressed strong opposition to reports of a sequel to The Kerala Story. He described it as a “hate-mongering film” and said a sequel would be another attempt to incite “communal discord” in the state.
“The reports regarding the release of a sequel to the hate-mongering film ‘The Kerala Story’ should be seen with utmost gravity. Having already seen through the communal agenda and blatant lies of the first part, Kerala will once again reject this attempt to demonise our secular fabric with contempt.” Vijayan said in a post on X.
The reports regarding the release of a sequel to the hate-mongering film ‘The Kerala Story’ should be seen with utmost gravity. Having already seen through the communal agenda and blatant lies of the first part, Kerala will once again reject this attempt to demonise our secular…— Pinarayi Vijayan (@pinarayivijayan) February 19, 2026
Matter Reaches High Court
Meanwhile, the Kerala High Court issued a notice to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, the Central Board of Film Certification, and the producer of the film “The Kerala Story 2 – Goes Beyond” on Thursday after a petition was filed seeking a halt on the release of the movie.
The petitioner, Sreedev Namboodiri, who is a biologist by profession, alleged that the teaser of the movie “shocked his conscience,” as it shows Kerala in bad light.
The petitioner alleged that although the film’s teaser includes stories from other states, the title creates the impression that the events, whether fictional or real, are occurring exclusively in Kerala.
The makers of ‘The Kerala Story 2’ released the trailer of the sequel recently, which showcased how Hindu women were trapped by the Islamic men in the name of love. Their parallel lives showed how romance and rebellion transform into control and silence, turning love into a weapon that destroys freedom.
The film is written by Amarnath Jha and Vipul Amrutlal Shah, while it is directed by Kamakhya Narayan Singh.
The film will hit theatres on February 27.
(With inputs from agencies)
Thiruvananthapuram, India, India
February 19, 2026, 16:59 IST
Read More