Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: ‘War crime that should haunt us all’: UN declares first Middle East famine in Gaza City; Israel dismisses claim as ‘Hamas lies’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > ‘War crime that should haunt us all’: UN declares first Middle East famine in Gaza City; Israel dismisses claim as ‘Hamas lies’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

‘War crime that should haunt us all’: UN declares first Middle East famine in Gaza City; Israel dismisses claim as ‘Hamas lies’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: August 22, 2025 10:46 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


Contents
‘A famine that haunts us all’: UN aid chief‘Hamas lies’: Israeli governmentWhy is Gaza now officially in famine?First famine in the Middle EastWhy are deaths hard to track
‘War crime that should haunt us all’: UN declares first Middle East famine in Gaza City; Israel dismisses claim as ‘Hamas lies’
After almost 3 years of war, UN declares a famine in Gaza City

The United Nations on Friday confirmed that famine has struck Gaza City, marking the first officially declared famine in the Middle East. The declaration came from the integrated food security phase classification (IPC), the world’s leading authority on food crises.The IPC report said famine was now occurring in the Gaza Governorate, which includes Gaza City and accounts for around 20 per cent of the territory. Experts cautioned that the crisis could extend to southern areas like Khan Younis and Deir al-Balah without an immediate ceasefire and full access for humanitarian aid.

‘A famine that haunts us all’: UN aid chief

UN aid chief Tom Fletcher delivered a message during a briefing in Geneva, saying the famine was entirely preventable. “It is a famine that we could have prevented if we had been allowed. Yet food stacks up at borders because of systematic obstruction by Israel,” Fletcher said. He called the situation “a famine that will and must haunt us all”.UN rights chief Volker Turk said “it is a war crime to use starvation as a method of warfare”, moments after famine was declared.According to the IPC, from early July to mid-August, Gaza witnessed the sharpest deterioration in food security since monitoring began. One-third of Gaza’s population is projected to face catastrophic levels of hunger by the end of next month, the report stated.

(Photo: AP)

‘Hamas lies’: Israeli government

Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the UN-backed report as “false and biased”. In a statement, it said: “There is no famine in Gaza,” and claimed the findings were based on “Hamas lies laundered through organisations with vested interests”.Similarly, COGAT, the Israeli military agency responsible for aid transfers, called the report “false and biased” and said significant steps have been taken recently to increase aid delivery to Gaza.Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also rejected reports of starvation.

(Photo: AP)

Why is Gaza now officially in famine?

Famine classification requires strict conditions to be met, and the IPC uses a globally recognised system. It labels an area as being in famine when three criteria are confirmed:

  • At least 20 per cent of households face extreme food shortages.
  • At least 30 per cent of children aged six months to five years suffer from acute malnutrition by weight-to-height measurement, or 15 per cent based on arm circumference.
  • Two adults or four children under five per 10,000 people die daily from starvation or related disease.

The IPC said data collected between July 1 and August 15 showed these thresholds had been reached in Gaza City. Mortality data is harder to confirm due to access restrictions.

(Photo: AP)

First famine in the Middle East

This is the first time the IPC has confirmed famine in the Middle East. The organisation has previously declared famine in Somalia in 2011, South Sudan in 2017 and 2020, and parts of Sudan’s Darfur region in 2023.The IPC includes over a dozen UN agencies, governments, and humanitarian organisations. An independent Famine Review Committee (FRC) also verified the Gaza findings, adding another layer of scrutiny.

(Photo: AP)

Why are deaths hard to track

Experts note that deaths during famine often occur from a combination of malnutrition and infection rather than hunger alone. “There are no standard guidelines for physicians to classify cause of death as ‘malnutrition’ as opposed to infection,” said Alex de Waal, author of Mass Starvation and executive director of the World Peace Foundation.He explained that diarrhoea and dehydration linked to infections commonly affect children with severe malnutrition. Most excess deaths in such crises result from disease, deprivation, and malnutrition together, rather than starvation alone.The IPC warned that without a ceasefire and unrestricted aid deliveries, famine conditions will spread beyond Gaza City within weeks. “The situation is worsening at an unprecedented pace,” the report said.Since the conflict began on October 7, 2023, following Hamas’ attack on Israel, more than 60,000 Palestinians have been killed, according to Gaza’s health ministry.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Over 3 million visitors have explored UAE’s Expo 2025 site in Osaka, Japan since April opening | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article UAE: Special award launched to recognise Arabic content creators in AI, film, podcasts and more | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • What’s IEEPA – law Trump used for tariffs faces legal hurdle; SC showdown likely – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Trump Is Dead’ Trend Goes Viral: VP Vance’s Comment, Health Rumors & Simpsons Prediction Stir Chaos – Delhi News Daily
  • Tasteless trolls trend ‘Trump is dead’ amid health concerns – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • UAE: How Abu Dhabi is successfully using AI traffic lights to cut congestion and improve traffic flow | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Horrific murder’: Zelenskyy confirms ex-speaker Parubiy shot dead; vows probe – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

Firefighters detained by US border agents: Two held while battling Washington blaze; ‘immoral’ Donald Trump policy slammed – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Representative image (Picture credit: AP) Two firefighters working to contain a wildfire in Washington state’s Olympic Peninsula were detained by…

6 Min Read
World News

Watch: Chaos erupts at pro-Israel event as man hurls ‘Molotov cocktails’ at a crowd in Colorado, yells ‘Free Palestine’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

A peaceful gathering in downtown Boulder in Colorado turned into chaos on Sunday when a man shouted “Free Palestine” and…

7 Min Read
World News

‘Admit the mistake’: Donald Trump urges Cracker Barrel to ditch new logo; calls it ‘billion dollar opportunity’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Cracker Barrel (left), Donald Trump (AP) US President Donald Trump has weighed in on the Cracker Barrel logo controversy, urging…

5 Min Read
World News

‘Do it in India’: Vivek Ramaswamy faces racist trolling for his photo with two kids – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Vivek Ramaswamy was trolled again after he posted a photo with his kids. Republican leader Vivek Ramaswamy faced another round…

5 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?