Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: As US plans to burn contraceptives meant for poor, Europeans are alarmed – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > As US plans to burn contraceptives meant for poor, Europeans are alarmed – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

As US plans to burn contraceptives meant for poor, Europeans are alarmed – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: August 8, 2025 2:10 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


As US plans to burn contraceptives meant for poor, Europeans are alarmed

The Trump administration’s plans to incinerate $9.7 million in birth control pills and other contraceptives stored in a Belgian warehouse have left European govts struggling as they try to prevent the destruction. When the Trump administration abruptly de-funded and dismantled the USAID earlier this year, millions of contraceptives it had purchased were stuck in Geel, Belgium. The pills, intrauterine devices and hormonal implants were destined for clinics in the poorest countries in Africa.With the contraceptives in limbo, the contractor managing the supply explored selling it to outside organizations, including the UN’s main sexual and reproductive health agency, the UN Population Fund. The non-profit MSI Reproductive Choices offered to take over the warehousing and redistribute the contraceptives at no cost to the US.But last month it emerged that the US govt had instead decided to burn the supplies, at a cost to govt of more than $160,000 in transport and incineration fees. “USAID was allegedly dismantled to prevent future wastage and to deliver value for money for the American people,” said Sarah Shaw, the associate director of advocacy at MSI Reproductive Choices. “It’s just egregious that they’re willing to waste $9 million worth of contraceptives that are so desperately needed.“The decision to destroy the contraceptives has created alarm in Brussels and France as politicians scramble to figure out if the supplies have physically left the warehouse and how they can prevent their destruction. The state department confirmed that “a preliminary decision was made to destroy certain” birth control products. It declined to explain the decision or to specify the current location or status of the products. The department referred to policies preventing the US govt from providing aid to overseas nongovernmental organizations that provide or help with access to abortions, based on a rule that the Trump administration reinstated. Siobhan Perkins, who was an adviser for USAID, said the products slated for destruction were enough to prevent 3,62,000 unintended pregnancies, 11,10,000 unsafe abortions and 718 maternal deaths.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article ‘Harsimrat was innocent bystander’: Canadian police arrest man months after Indian student killed; investigation still under way – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘Will do an outstanding job’: Trump nominates Stephen Miran to Federal Reserve Board; Powell’s role under scrutiny – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Priyanka Chopra recalls STRUGGLES in Hollywood; says ‘I forgave my younger self, for the things she did…’ | – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • T20 World Cup: India humiliate Pakistan again – Delhi News Daily
  • Maharashtra Congress Chief Booked For Calling Tipu Sultan ‘Symbol Of Bravery’ Like Shivaji – Delhi News Daily
  • Commodities enter a corrective phase: Will it last or is it just a pause? – Delhi News Daily
  • दिल्ली में ‘एआई इम्पैक्ट समिट’ और सीबीएसई परीक्षाओं से पहले ट्रैफिक पुलिस ने जारी की एडवाइजरी – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

Regime on edge: If Khamenei is slain, who will rule Iran? Behind the scenes of Supreme Leader succession battle – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

From left to right: Mojtaba Khamenei, Ali Asghar Hejazi and Mohammad Golpayegani As Israeli bombs hit Tehran and top Iranian…

8 Min Read
World News

Bangladesh: Rights abuses after Hasina’s ouster spark fear – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Bangladesh has been in political turmoil since longtime Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was ousted in August 2024 following a mass…

11 Min Read
World News

Flamingos are stirring up trouble and ravaging rice for risotto in Italy’s northeast – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

A flock of Flamingos is seen in a flooded field that produce rice for risotto, in Jolanda Di Savoia, Italy…

6 Min Read
World News

US imposes ‘visa integrity fee’: India, China, Mexico most affected; experts warn of tourism decline – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

The United States' decision to introduce a new $250 “visa integrity fee” has sparked concerns across the global travel industry,…

7 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?