Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: Calcutta High Court Orders MGNREGA Revival In Bengal From August 1, Allows Centre To Decide Terms – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > Politics > Calcutta High Court Orders MGNREGA Revival In Bengal From August 1, Allows Centre To Decide Terms – Delhi News Daily
Politics

Calcutta High Court Orders MGNREGA Revival In Bengal From August 1, Allows Centre To Decide Terms – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: June 19, 2025 1:01 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
News18
SHARE


Last Updated:June 19, 2025, 16:16 IST

With the resumption of MGNREGA on the horizon, the scheme is expected to become a central issue in the upcoming 2026 state elections

The division bench noted: “If this scheme is implemented, the common people of the state will benefit.”

The division bench noted: “If this scheme is implemented, the common people of the state will benefit.”

In a significant development, the Calcutta High Court on Wednesday directed the resumption of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) scheme in West Bengal from August 1. The court, however, allowed the Centre to impose specific conditions and restrictions in view of alleged financial irregularities in the disbursement of central funds.

The directive, which was issued by a division bench comprising Chief Justice TS Sivagnanam and Justice Chaitali Chatterjee (Das), came after a series of hearings on a petition filed last year by the Paschim Banga Khet Mazdoor Samity, a farmers’ organisation, which had challenged the Union government’s decision to halt payments under the scheme over allegations of embezzlement.

Key Observations from the Court

Chief Justice Sivagnanam remarked: “From the beginning, I have said — out of ten apples, a few may be rotten, but that doesn’t mean the rest aren’t fresh. There must be proper supervision. What happened in the past is done. But the scheme has remained stalled for nearly three years. It must be restarted. The Centre cannot indefinitely suspend it. Consider resuming the scheme in July or August. You may impose conditions, but implementation is necessary. It is an established fact that funds were misused in four districts.”

The division bench noted: “If this scheme is implemented, the common people of the state will benefit.”

Centre vs Bengal In Court

The Centre argued that it does not intend to withhold payments from genuine workers, but emphasised the need to verify whether work was actually completed. It also demanded that the state return the misused funds it had confiscated.

The Centre insisted on full oversight of the scheme to prevent future corruption and mentioned plans to establish a nodal office for better monitoring. A report was submitted detailing where lapses had occurred.

The Bengal government, however, countered that there is no need for a nodal officer as the entire scheme is already managed through an online portal.

The next hearing in the case will be after August 15.

Political Reactions

Following the court’s ruling, there was a positive mood in the corridors of the Bengal administration. Chief minister Mamata Banerjee said: “We welcome the judgment, but our government will review it. First, we will demand the arrears (central funds) that have been pending for over four years. Beneficiaries who worked should be paid in full. When our MPs and MLAs went to Delhi to demand the funds, police cases were filed against them. Have you forgotten that?”

On the other hand, the BJP maintained its position that the scheme was halted under Section 27 of the MGNREGA Act due to proven malpractice by the state government.

BJP IT Cell head Amit Malviya tweeted: “In a landmark ruling, the Calcutta High Court has ordered the MGNREGA scheme in West Bengal to restart from August 1, 2025 — a huge blow to the Mamata Banerjee government and a massive win in the fight against corruption. The scheme cannot be kept in abeyance indefinitely because of the state’s misuse. Monitoring will now rest with the Centre — Mamata Banerjee can no longer loot. No retrospective payments — only genuine beneficiaries will receive fresh entitlements. All recovered scam money will go to the Consolidated Fund of India, not TMC’s coffers. The Act hasn’t been scrapped, so benefits must reach the poor — and the Court has ensured that they will.”

“This is a tight slap on TMC’s corruption-ridden governance. The poor of Bengal will now get what is rightfully theirs. But make no mistake — Mamata Banerjee will do everything to stall its implementation because she cannot tolerate a system she cannot manipulate.”

TMC’s Political Capital

The court’s directive is being viewed as a major win for the Mamata Banerjee-led state government, especially after MGNREGA payments had been suspended since 2022. Government officials noted that no work had been conducted under the scheme for the past three years. A senior state official told News18, “It was the Bengal government that paid Rs 3,700 crore to workers who had already completed work. However, Rs 6,900 crore is still pending from the Centre. We hope the process will now move forward.”

The Calcutta High Court’s order today to restart MGNREGA in Bengal is a blow to the BJP’s politics of revenge.Unable to accept the people’s mandate in 2021, the BANGLA BIRODHI BJP froze MGNREGA funds and choked off rural employment. This wasn’t governance – It was revenge and… pic.twitter.com/48iyCGW5rT

— Abhishek Banerjee (@abhishekaitc) June 18, 2025

The ruling is also being seen as political validation for the Trinamool Congress, which had led a major movement around the MGNREGA issue. TMC’s National General Secretary Abhishek Banerjee had held a dharna outside the Bengal Raj Bhavan, and the party’s entire MP delegation had travelled to Delhi to press for the release of funds.

According to TMC insiders, the party has successfully created public perception that the central government is deliberately attempting to block the state economically. TMC tweeted in celebration of the court’s observation, reinforcing their claim that this is a victory for the people of Bengal.

With the resumption of MGNREGA on the horizon, the scheme is expected to become a central issue in the upcoming 2026 state elections. Both the BJP and TMC will likely attempt to leverage the verdict to their political advantage — one as a win against corruption, the other as a fight for Bengal’s rights.

authorimg

Kamalika Sengupta

Kamalika Sengupta, Editor, Digital East of News18, is a multilingual journalist with 16 years of experience in covering the northeast, with specialisation in politics and defence. She has won UNICEF Laadli Awar…Read More

Kamalika Sengupta, Editor, Digital East of News18, is a multilingual journalist with 16 years of experience in covering the northeast, with specialisation in politics and defence. She has won UNICEF Laadli Awar… Read More

    First Published:
News india Calcutta High Court Orders MGNREGA Revival In Bengal From August 1, Allows Centre To Decide Terms





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article NATO cuts back leaders’ summit to avoid Trump walkout: Sources – Delhi News Daily
Next Article Bill Clinton on Middle East crisis: Netanyahu wants to stay in office forever, US should stop Iran but… – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • T20 World Cup: Afghanistan coach Jonathan Trott’s emotional press conference – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Federalism Needs A Structural Reset’: MK Stalin Calls For Constitution’s Amendment  – Delhi News Daily
  • Markets likely to look past geopolitics as oil risks remain contained, says Andrew Freris – Delhi News Daily
  • Toxic Teaser Review: ‘Toxic – A Fairytale for Grown Ups’ trailer reactions: Fans call Yash’s beardless look ‘unexpected’ and ‘out of syllabus’ | – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • Raj Thackeray Meets Eknath Shinde After MNS Supports Shiv Sena in KDMC – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

Politics

‘People Of Malda Believe In Congress’: TMC Rajya Sabha MP Mausam Noor After Joining INC – Delhi News Daily

Last Updated:January 03, 2026, 17:52 ISTMausam Noor, whose tenure as Rajya Sabha MP ends in April, is likely to contest…

4 Min Read
News18
Politics

‘Beaten With Shoes, Threatened’: Shivakumar Aide Slaps Charges Against Siddaramaiah Loyalist – Delhi News Daily

Last Updated:July 26, 2025, 13:45 ISTA special officer to DK Shivakumar has accused special officer to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah of…

4 Min Read
Politics

‘If Not Minister, Then…’: Telangana Congress MLA Expects Cabinet Berth, Signals Ambition For CM Post – Delhi News Daily

Last Updated:February 14, 2026, 08:12 ISTHe made it clear that if the promised ministerial position does not come through, he…

3 Min Read
News18
Politics

Not Against Any Language; Maharashtra Accepts People From All States: Aaditya Thackeray At News18 Townhall – Delhi News Daily

Last Updated:August 13, 2025, 17:33 ISTAddressing the thorny issue of recent violence allegedly associated with his party and the MNS…

3 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?