Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: Cyprus offers Syrian families money to resettle and work permits for main earners | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > Cyprus offers Syrian families money to resettle and work permits for main earners | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

Cyprus offers Syrian families money to resettle and work permits for main earners | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: May 29, 2025 12:19 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


Cyprus offers Syrian families money to resettle and work permits for main earners
Cyprus offers Syrian families money to resettle and work permits for main earners (Photo: AP)

Cyprus will offer Syrian families money to help them resettle back in their homeland and allow the main income earners to remain on the island nation for up to three years to work as part of a voluntary repatriation program, a Cypriot minister said Thursday. Deputy minister for Migration Nicholas Ioannides said that a prerequisite for families to qualify for the program is that they must drop their claims for asylum or rescind international protection status already granted to them prior to Dec 31, 2024. Unveiling the program, Ioannides said that families wishing to voluntarily return will be given a one-off sum of 2,000 euros ($2,255) for one adult and 1,000 euros ($1,128) for each child. Childless couples are also eligible to apply. The application period runs from June 2 to Aug. 31. Additionally, the family’s main income earner – either the father or mother will be granted a special residency and work permit allowing them to stay for a minimum of two years in Cyprus with the option of another year. Ioannides said that many Syrians have expressed their willingness to return and help rebuild their country, but are reluctant to do so because of the uncertainty surrounding where they’ll be able to earn a living wage. According to the head of Cyprus’ Asylum Service Andreas Georgiades, the program’s premise is to help families overcome any such reluctance by affording them a modest nest egg with which to cover their immediate needs while enabling the main income earner to continue working and sending money to his family. The income earner will be allowed to travel back and forth to Syria while his or her residency and work permit are valid. Syrian nationals make up the largest group of asylum-seekers in Cyprus by far. According to Asylum Service figures, 4,226 Syrians applied for asylum last year – almost 10 times more than Afghans who are the second-largest group. “This new program is a targeted, humanitarian and realistic policy that bolsters Syria’s post-war transition to normality,” Ioannides said, adding that European home affairs commissioner Magnus Brunner considers the program as a potential example for other European Union member countries to follow. Meanwhile, Ioannides repeated that a 2009 Search and Rescue agreement that Cyprus has with Syria enables Cypriot authorities to send back boatloads of Syrian migrants trying to reach the island nation after they’re rescued in international waters. Ioannides said that two inflatable boats each loaded with 30 Syrian migrants were turned back in line with the bilateral agreement after being rescued when they transmitted that they were in danger. Ioannides again denied Cyprus engages in any pushbacks, despite urgings from both the UN refugee agency and Europe’s top human rights body to stop pushing back migrants trying to reach the island by boat.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Yunus announces Bangladesh elections by June 2026, says ‘impatient politicians’ pushing for power – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs forced ex-girlfriend Cassie into ‘freak-offs’, threatened to leak tapes and ruin career, says former stylist – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • When Mahesh Babu said “Bollywood can’t afford me”: A throwback to the ‘SSMB29’ actor’s controversial remark | Telugu Movie News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • Princess Diana’s time capsule opened: What was found and revealed | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • UAE: Dubai tenants now must share details of who they live with on Ejari platform, how to fill in co-living details | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Trump is Dead’ trends on X: J D Vance’s remark over US president sparks frenzy; Simpsons prediction adds fuel – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • Ssense seeks bankruptcy protection as luxury e-commerce falters – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

When war got weird: 10 military experiments that seem straight out of sci-fi – see pics – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

War has a funny way of turning wild ideas into serious government projects. In the chaos of World War II…

13 Min Read
World News

Ex-Obama official Rahm Emanuel who’s likely to run for president in 2028 says Democrat brand is ‘weak, woke, toxic’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Rahm Emanuel says the brand of the Democratic Party is weak, woke and toxic. Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief…

5 Min Read
World News

‘Racial discrimination illegal’: Indian-origin Harmeet Dhillon threatens DOJ probe against Zohran Mamdani for ‘tax the whites’ proposal – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Harmeet Dhillon threatens probe against Zohran Mamdani's 'tax the whites' proposal. Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Harmeet Dhillon threatened…

5 Min Read
World News

UN chief calls for probe into deaths near Gaza aid site – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

UN chief Antonio Guterres (Image credit: AP) GAZA CITY: UN chief Antonio Guterres called Monday for an independent investigation into…

8 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?