Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: ‘No specific power for President over election’: Federal judge blocks Trump’s executive order on voting laws; says it oversteps presidential powers – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > ‘No specific power for President over election’: Federal judge blocks Trump’s executive order on voting laws; says it oversteps presidential powers – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

‘No specific power for President over election’: Federal judge blocks Trump’s executive order on voting laws; says it oversteps presidential powers – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: June 13, 2025 2:53 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


'No specific power for President over election': Federal judge blocks Trump’s executive order on voting laws; says it oversteps presidential powers

A federal judge on Friday blocked President Donald Trump’s controversial executive order aimed at reshaping US election procedures, ruling that it likely violates the Constitution and infringes on states’ authority over elections.US District Judge Denise J. Casper in Massachusetts granted a preliminary injunction against the March 25 directive, siding with a coalition of Democratic state attorneys general who argued that the order was an unconstitutional attempt to override state election laws.“The Constitution does not grant the President any specific powers over elections,” Judge Casper wrote in her ruling.Trump’s order sought to enforce several sweeping changes to federal elections, including mandating documentary proof of citizenship for voter registration, rejecting mail-in ballots not received by Election Day, and linking federal election grants to states’ compliance with the new rules.The states challenging the order said it “usurps the States’ constitutional power and seeks to amend election law by fiat.” The Biden administration, which inherited the litigation, did not support Trump’s order. However, Trump and his allies have maintained the directive is necessary to secure elections, with the White House at the time defending it as “standing up for free, fair and honest elections.”Casper said the states had shown a “likelihood of success” in their legal challenges and acknowledged their concerns about the administrative and financial burden the order would impose. She also noted that federal registration forms already require voters to affirm their US citizenship and that noncitizen voting is already illegal under federal law.This marks the second judicial blow to Trump’s order. A federal judge in Washington, D.C., had earlier blocked parts of the directive, including the proof-of-citizenship mandate.The order was rooted in Trump’s long-standing claims of voter fraud — assertions that have repeatedly been debunked by independent reviews and multiple state-led investigations. After losing the 2020 election, Trump has continued to promote baseless allegations about election integrity, including false claims about voting machines and illegal ballots.Critics argue the executive order threatens to disenfranchise voters, particularly in states like Oregon and Washington that rely heavily on mail-in voting. In a separate legal challenge, these states pointed out that the order would bar the counting of hundreds of thousands of ballots postmarked on time but received after Election Day. In Washington alone, more than 300,000 such ballots arrived late in 2024.Trump’s order had found support among Republican election officials in some states, who said it could help prevent voter fraud and provide access to federal data for purging outdated voter rolls. But constitutional experts have warned that the president lacks the authority to impose such nationwide election rules — a power reserved for states, with Congress able to intervene only in federal elections.During a court hearing earlier this month, Department of Justice attorney Bridget O’Hickey argued the order aimed to create consistent standards across states and dismissed concerns about cost or feasibility as speculative. She also suggested that late-arriving ballots might be tampered with, although Judge Casper noted that such ballots already require a postmark before or on Election Day, and any received afterward with later postmarks are not counted.Friday’s ruling leaves the future of Trump’s order uncertain and bolsters state officials’ efforts to maintain control over their own election procedures.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article F1 visa updates: Will US soon lift restrictions on student visas as Trump goes soft on China? – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article Eight months in the making: Israeli officials claim they ‘had a clear US green light’ to strike Iran – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Nasimuddin Siddiqui Joins SP: Will Muslim Face And ‘Mini CM’ Of BSP Era Change 2027 UP Poll Math? – Delhi News Daily
  • Nabard raises ₹6,779 crore via three-year bond at 7.01% cut-off yield – Delhi News Daily
  • That’s NOT Ghislaine Maxwell? Latest Prison Video Sparks WILD Conspiracy Theories – Delhi News Daily
  • Suryakumar Yadav press conference: How SKY trolled India-Pakistan rivalry – Delhi News Daily
  • Assam Congress Claims Bhupen Borah Withdrew Resignation, He Says ‘Not Yet’ – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

‘As an Indian-American….’: US diplomat who was posted in Chennai says H-1B is industrialized fraud – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Indian-American US diplomat claims there is an industry in India which is facilitating H-1B fraud. US diplomat Mahvash Siddiqui, an…

6 Min Read

Donald Trump at Kennedy Center: US president and first lady Melania Trump cheered, booed; watch video – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

US President Donald Trump received a mix of boos and cheers as he arrived in a tuxedo at the Kennedy…

5 Min Read
World News

Nick Fuentes and Charlie Kirk feud explained: NYT sparks uproar after calling streamer the “successor” of slain TPUSA founder – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Nick Fuentes and Charlie Kirk feud explained: NYT sparks uproar after calling streamer the “successor” of slain TPUSA founder (Image…

6 Min Read
World News

Minneapolis gunman killed 2 children after breakup? Inside US shooter’s final days — ‘That scary horrible monster’ – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Minneapolis police say the gunman who killed two children and injured 18 others at Annunciation Catholic Church this week had…

4 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?