Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: ‘No willingness to take responsibility’: Afghanistan-Pakistan peace talks fail again; what next? – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > ‘No willingness to take responsibility’: Afghanistan-Pakistan peace talks fail again; what next? – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

‘No willingness to take responsibility’: Afghanistan-Pakistan peace talks fail again; what next? – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: November 8, 2025 5:36 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


Contents
Ceasefire holds despite clashesBackground of escalating tensions
'No willingness to take responsibility': Afghanistan-Pakistan peace talks fail again; what next?

NEW DELHI: The third round of peace talks between Pakistan and Afghanistan ended on saturday without any agreement on tackling cross-border terrorism, with both sides trading blame for the collapse of negotiations. Afghanistan’s Taliban government on Saturday accused Pakistan of adopting an “irresponsible and uncooperative” stance during the two-day talks held in Istanbul under the mediation of Qatar and Turkiye.“During the discussions, the Pakistani side attempted to shift all responsibility for its security to the Afghan government, while showing no willingness to take responsibility for either Afghanistan’s security or its own,” Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on social media.The negotiations, aimed at addressing Pakistan’s concerns over attacks by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) from Afghan territory, failed to produce a breakthrough after Kabul refused to give a written commitment to act against the group, according to Pakistani officials.Pakistan’s defence minister Khawaja Asif said the talks had been suspended indefinitely. “There is a complete deadlock. The negotiations have entered an indefinite phase,” Asif told a private TV channel, adding that “there is no programme for the fourth round of talks.”Asif thanked Qatar and Turkiye for their mediation efforts but said even the facilitators had lost optimism. “They support our stance. Even the Afghan delegation agreed with us; however, they were not ready to sign a written agreement. They wanted verbal assurances to be accepted, which is not possible in international negotiations,” he said.He reiterated that Pakistan would only recognise a formal, written accord. “If there is any attack from Afghan soil, we will respond accordingly. As long as there is no aggression, the ceasefire will remain intact,” Asif said.The breakdown in talks marks another setback for efforts to ease tensions between the two neighbours, who have seen repeated border clashes and escalating mistrust since early October.Mediation efforts falter amid renewed border tensionsThe breakdown came as tensions flared along the border, with both sides accusing each other of overnight shelling that left four Afghan civilians dead and several others wounded. Pakistan’s Information Minister Attaullah Tarar confirmed the stalemate, saying that “the onus lies on the Afghan Taliban to fulfil its long-standing international, regional, and bilateral pledges regarding control of terrorism, in which so far they have failed.”“Pakistan does not harbour any ill-will against the Afghan people. However, it shall never support the Afghan Taliban regime’s any measures that are detrimental to the interests of the Afghan people as well as the neighbouring countries,” Tarar wrote on X, stressing that Islamabad will “continue to safeguard its citizens and sovereignty.”

Ceasefire holds despite clashes

The talks were the latest in a series of mediation efforts since October, when cross-border fighting between Afghan and Pakistani forces left dozens dead on both sides. A Qatar-brokered ceasefire on October 19 has largely held, though sporadic clashes have continued.Pakistan has repeatedly accused Afghanistan’s Taliban government of harbouring TTP militants responsible for attacks inside Pakistan, a claim Kabul denies. Afghan officials, in turn, accuse Islamabad of initiating the latest round of border clashes.The Afghan side, led by intelligence chief Abdul Haq Wasiq, and Pakistan’s delegation, headed by Lt. Gen. Asim Malik, had met in Istanbul to salvage the truce, but the discussions yielded no progress.

Background of escalating tensions

Tensions between the two neighbours have escalated since early October, following explosions in Kabul and Paktika that Afghanistan blamed on Pakistan. Both sides have since exchanged artillery fire and traded accusations of harbouring militants.In recent months, Pakistan has seen a surge in militant attacks claimed by the TTP, a group designated as a terrorist organisation by the United Nations and the United States. The TTP, though separate, is closely allied with the Afghan Taliban, with many of its leaders believed to be operating from within Afghanistan since the Taliban’s takeover in 2021.With the latest round of peace talks collapsing, both nations now face renewed uncertainty over how to prevent further cross-border violence, despite international mediation and repeated calls for restraint.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Saudi launches Self-Deportation platform and AI smart track for faster airport immigration processing – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article Did Israeli lawyers warn of Gaza war crimes? What US intel found and why Biden admin was worried – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Mike Hesson press conference: ‘Ishan took the game away from us’ after India beat Pakistan – Delhi News Daily
  • Ex-Assam Congress Chief Bhupen Borah Resigns, Blames Gaurav Gogoi’s High-Handedness – Delhi News Daily
  • Volatility in gold prices hasn’t deterred buyers, price corrections seen as opportunities: Titan MD – Delhi News Daily
  • AI-powered Cloud service provider Neysa to raise $1.2 bn via equity, debt – Delhi News Daily
  • Jeffrey Epstein Files Blow Apart Hidden Camera Denials And Trigger Global Alarm | WATCH – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

UAE weather forecast: 4 days of mixed weather ahead, what residents need to know | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

UAE faces four days of mixed weather with rain, gusty winds up to 45 km/h, cooler temperatures, and slight to…

7 Min Read

‘Israeli fire kills 23 people in Gaza, many at aid site’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Representative image (AP) CAIRO: Israeli fire and airstrikes killed at least 23 Palestinians across the Gaza Strip, most of them…

5 Min Read
World News

US shutdown: Trump administration to cut flight capacity by 10% across 40 ‘high-volume’ markets – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

The Trump administration announced on Wednesday that it will cut the scheduled capacity for flights by 10% at 40 “high-volume”…

7 Min Read
World News

Saudi Arabia caps foreign ownership in listed firms at 49%: Only six types of investors can qualify | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Foreign strategic investors are exempt from the 49% cap, while other non-resident investors face a 10% ownership limit per company/…

8 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?