Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: Private Chinese firm producing oil in Venezuela under rare 20-year pact, source says – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > Business > Private Chinese firm producing oil in Venezuela under rare 20-year pact, source says – Delhi News Daily
Business

Private Chinese firm producing oil in Venezuela under rare 20-year pact, source says – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: August 22, 2025 12:20 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


China Concord Resources Corp has begun developing two Venezuelan oilfields, planning to invest more than $1 billion in a project to produce 60,000 barrels per day of crude oil by end-2026, an executive directly involved in the project said.

The project marks a rare investment by a private Chinese firm in the OPEC country, which has struggled to attract foreign capital due to international sanctions on the administration of President Nicolas Maduro. The investment figure and the production plan are being reported for the first time.

Beijing has been a key ally of Maduro and his predecessor late President Hugo Chavez and is currently buying more than 90% of Venezuela’s total oil exports.

Chinese state oil giant CNPC was among the largest investors in Venezuela’s oil sector before U.S. energy sanctions were first imposed on Venezuela in 2019. China was also a big lender to Venezuela.

Early last year, CCRC began negotiating its participation in the two oilfields – Lago Cinco and Lagunillas Lago – and signed in May 2024 a 20-year production sharing contract with Venezuela, said the executive, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject.

ET logo

Live Events


The contract model, introduced by the Venezuelan government in 2020 under the Anti-Blockade Law to cope with U.S. sanctions, allows investors to act as operators in return for an agreed share of production. PDVSA and Venezuela’s oil ministry did not respond to requests for comment. The oilfields in Venezuela’s second largest oil producing region, Lake Maracaibo, are part of a group of blocks PDVSA has been seeking partners for in recent years. Most of the intended partners are little known companies with no track record on oil production, according to a PDVSA document.

With no previous oil drilling experience, CCRC has since last September sent in around 60 Chinese staff skilled in oilfield development and a Chinese drill rig, aiming to quickly reopen about 100 wells and recover crude output, said the executive.

Production at the two fields, largely mothballed in recent years due to lack of investment and technical expertise, is now running at 12,000 bpd, said the executive.

CCRC aims to develop a total of 500 wells and raise output to up to 60,000 bpd by the end of 2026, he said, adding that it’s a mix of light and heavy oil, with light crude to be delivered to PDVSA and heavier crude destined for China.

“Because of the U.S. sanctions on Venezuela’s oil sector, no big name companies would dare operate there, handing opportunities to small companies like Concord,” the executive said.

State oil company PDVSA, which controls joint ventures and contracts, has stabilized oil output at around 1 million bpd, in part because of U.S. licenses that allow a limited number of foreign partners to operate there and export oil.

Since the U.S. imposed energy sanctions on Venezuela in 2019, most Chinese state oil firms have stopped lifting oil. Chinese independent refiners, however, continue to buy the oil via traders.



Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Saudi Arabia hosts 15.2 million Umrah pilgrims in first three months of 2025 | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘No one is above the law’: Who is John Bolton? Why Kash Patel ordered FBI raid on his house – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Raj Thackeray Meets Eknath Shinde After MNS Supports Shiv Sena in KDMC – Delhi News Daily
  • Business News Live, Share Market News – Read Latest Finance News, IPO, Mutual Funds News – The Economic Times – Delhi News Daily
  • बेटे को इंसाफ के लिए मां ने शुरु किया ‘जस्टिस फॉर साहिल’ कैंपेन, 3 फरवरी को SUV कार की टक्कर से हो गई थी मौत – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Liquor Being Delivered At Home In Bihar’: Jitan Ram Manjhi Seeks Action Against Smugglers – Delhi News Daily
  • FPIs buy the most in fortnight since April 2025, IT still a sell – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

Business

MSEDCL to get leaner before IPO, demerge agri biz by April; aims listing by end-2026 – Delhi News Daily

Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company plans to complete the demerger of its agriculture arm by April, a key step ahead…

3 Min Read
Business

World’s big cities see 26% rise in extreme hot days: Study – Delhi News Daily

The world's major cities are now experiencing a quarter more very hot days every year on average than they did…

4 Min Read
Business

ITC Hotels Q3 Results: PAT jumps 77% YoY to Rs 235 crore, revenue rises 47% – Delhi News Daily

ITC Hotels reported a 77% jump in its consolidated net profit to Rs 235 crore for the quarter ended December…

2 Min Read
Business

Envestcom sells 1.8% in Adani Energy Solutions – Delhi News Daily

SynopsisEnvestcom Holding RSC divested 22 million shares, representing a 1.83% stake, in Adani Energy Solutions (AESL) through bulk deals on…

0 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?