Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: Switzerland: Flood risk after landslide engulfs village | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > Switzerland: Flood risk after landslide engulfs village | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

Switzerland: Flood risk after landslide engulfs village | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: May 30, 2025 11:36 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


Switzerland: Flood risk after landslide engulfs village

A man remained missing on Thursday following a massive landslide that engulfed a village in southern Switzerland.The Birch glacier in Switzerland’s southern Wallis region crumpled on Wednesday, with the resulting landslide of rock and ice sending plumes of dust skyward.The landslide coated nearly the entirety of an Alpine village with mud. Last week, authorities evacuated the village as a precaution. The barrage largely destroyed the hamlet of Blatten, which had been home to 300 people. State Councilor Stephane Ganzer told Radio Television Suisse that 90% of the village was destroyed.The Cantonal Police of Valais said a search and rescue operation was underway for the missing 64-year-old man, involving a drone with a thermal camera.Glaciers vulnerable to climate changeSwitzerland’s glaciers have been severely affected by climate change.In the years 2022 and 2023, they melted just as much as they had in the decades from 1960 through 1990.Matthias Huss, head of the Glacier Monitoring in Switzerland, pointed to the likely influence of climate change in loosening the rock mass in the permafrost zone, which triggered the glacier collapse and the subsequent landslide.“Unexpected things happen at places that we have not seen for hundreds of years, most probably due to climate change,” he told Reuters.Concerns rising over blocked riverAuthorities have declared a state of emergency as they monitor the situation of the huge pile of glacier debris, stretching 2 kilometers (1.25 miles), blocking the Lonza River.“There is a serious risk of an ice jam that could flood the valley below,” Antoine Jacquod, a military security official, told the Keystone-ATS news agency. “We’re going to try to assess its dimensions.”With the area too unstable to be approached, authorities indicated that an assessment would be made during the late afternoon from the nearby village of Ferden.As a precaution, 16 people were evacuated late Wednesday from two villages downstream from the disaster area.An artificial dam has been emptied to receive the water pushed back by the wall of ice, earth and rubble. Were that water to overflow from the dam, authorities would need to consider evacuating the valley.“The deposit … is not very stable, and debris flow is possible within the deposit itself [which] makes any intervention in the disaster area impossible for the time being,” cantonal authorities said. They added that there is risk on both sides of the valley.Residents shocked by scale of destructionMartin Henzen, a Blatten resident, told Reuters that he was still trying to process what had occurred and did not want to speak for others in the village. “Most are calm,” Henzen said, “but they’re obviously affected.”Henzen said residents had been making preparations for some kind of natural disaster but “not for this scenario,” referring to the scale of destruction.Up to 1 million cubic meters (35 million cubic feet) of water could accumulate daily as a result of the debris damming up the river, and the buildings that emerged intact from the landslide are now flooding.Authorities have been airlifting livestock out of the area.“Right now,” said Jonas Jeitziner, an official in neighboring Wiler, “the shock is so profound that one can’t think about it yet.”





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Nigeria’s Tinubu touts economy amid cost-of-living anger | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘We’re keeping a good eye’: Top US general warns of African terror groups attack on American homeland – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • UAE: How Abu Dhabi is successfully using AI traffic lights to cut congestion and improve traffic flow | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Horrific murder’: Zelenskyy confirms ex-speaker Parubiy shot dead; vows probe – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Trump Is Dead’ viral trend: How it started, Trump’s health update, and what happens if a sitting president dies – Delhi News Daily
  • Mahagathbandhan’s Seat Math: Unity Or Discord In Bihar? – Delhi News Daily
  • When Mahesh Babu said “Bollywood can’t afford me”: A throwback to the ‘SSMB29’ actor’s controversial remark | Telugu Movie News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

‘Putin will not stop’: Ex-US VP calls for additional sanctions on Russia; applauds Trump – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Former US VP Mike Pence (Image: X/@Mike_Pence), Vladimir Putin with Donald Trump (AP image) Former vice-president Mike Pence on Sunday…

5 Min Read
World News

‘Drake vs Kendrick”: Internet turns Musk-Trump fallout into ‘Mean Girls’ memes; calls it a ‘beautiful breakup’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

A few days back, people were talking about the bromance between US President Donald Trump and Tesla CEO Elon Musk,…

5 Min Read
World News

Hack alert: St Paul hit by coordinated digital attack; Minnesota calls in National Guard – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Minnesota called in the National Guard after a “deliberate, coordinated, digital attack” hit the city of St Paul, severely disrupting…

5 Min Read
World News

Airport chaos: Police gun discharges at Sydney Airport; probe underway – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Australia’s busiest airport on Wednesday faced a brief disruption after a police officer discharged a firearm during an attempted arrest.…

4 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?