Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: ‘Take it or leave it’: Donald Trump may extend July 8 tariff deadline; going to send trade letters out soon – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > ‘Take it or leave it’: Donald Trump may extend July 8 tariff deadline; going to send trade letters out soon – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

‘Take it or leave it’: Donald Trump may extend July 8 tariff deadline; going to send trade letters out soon – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: June 12, 2025 4:18 am
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


'Take it or leave it': Donald Trump may extend July 8 tariff deadline; going to send trade letters out soon

US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he’s open to extending the July 8 deadline for trade talks before higher tariffs kick in, but added that an extension probably won’t be “a necessity.“Speaking to reporters ahead of a performance at the Kennedy Center Trump said, “We’re rocking in terms of deals. We’re dealing with quite a few countries and they all want to make a deal with us.”Despite being open to some flexibility, Trump stressed that he didn’t see an extension would be “a necessity.” Trump told the reporters that the discussions were ongoing with about 15 countries, including South Korea, Japan, and the European Union, according to Reuters report.“We’re dealing with Japan. We’re dealing with South Korea. We’re dealing with a lot of them. We’re dealing with about 15 countries. But as you know, we have about 150-plus, and you can’t [make a deal with all of them]. So we’re going to be sending letters out in about a week and a half, two weeks, to countries and telling them what the deal is.”Trump further continued that the United States will soon send letters outlining final trade deal terms to dozens of countries.“At a certain point, we’re just going to send letters out … saying, ‘This is the deal. You can take it, or you can leave it,'” Trump said. “So at a certain point we’ll do that. We’re not quite ready,” he added.Currently, only one deal, with the United Kingdom has been finalised, while about 17 others are still under negotiation. A 90-day pause on Trump’s sweeping “reciprocal” tariffs is set to expire on July 8, putting pressure on countries to reach agreements.US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking to lawmakers, said the deadline could be extended for some nations. Bessent explained to the House Ways and Means Committee that, “It is highly likely that those countries – or trading blocs as is the case with the EU – who are negotiating in good faith, we will roll the date forward to continue the good-faith negotiations.”“If someone is not negotiating, then we will not.” Bessent added.Bessent’s comments marked the first time a Trump administration official suggested there could be flexibility on the tariff pause deadline. Trump echoed this sentiment, saying, “They do want to negotiate.” Earlier on Tuesday (local time), Trump has confirmed that a new trade deal with China is “done,” pending final approval from both him and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Under the agreement, the US will impose a 55% tariff on Chinese imports, while China will apply a 10% tariff on American goods.“We made a great deal with China. We’re very happy with it,” Trump told reporters at the Kennedy Center, further adding that, “We have everything we need, and we’re going to do very well with it. And hopefully they are, too.”Trump revealed that China will supply the US with magnets and rare earth materials as part of the deal. In return, Chinese students will be allowed to continue studying at American universities—a reversal from Trump’s earlier restrictions on their presence at US institutions. Trump posted on Truth Social, “Our deal with China is done, subject to final approval with president xi and me. full magnets, and any necessary rare earths, will be supplied, up front, by China. Likewise, we will provide to China what was agreed to, including Chinese students using our colleges and universities (which has always been good with me!). We are getting a total of 55% tariffs, China is getting 10%. Relationship is excellent!”“Adding to the China readout, President XI and I are going to work closely together to open up China to American Trade. This would be a great WIN for both countries!!!,” Trump said in separate post.The backdrop to these developments is Trump’s abrupt announcement on April 9 of a pause in his aggressive tariff plans, which had shocked global markets a week earlier when he unveiled sweeping “Liberation Day” tariffs on nearly all major trading partners.The move sent the S&P 500 Index tumbling over 12% in just four days, its worst drop since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. Even US Treasury bonds were hit, with yields spiking and the dollar sinking.Markets only began to stabilise on April 9, when Trump unexpectedly paused the tariff rollout. Optimism returned in May as the administration scaled back aggressive tariff plans, especially against China.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Trump unveils US ‘Gold Card’ website: Who can apply, eligibility; all you need to know – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘No hard feelings’: Donald Trump responds to Elon Musk’s apology after intense feud; JD Vance tries to ease tensions – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • UAE: How Abu Dhabi is successfully using AI traffic lights to cut congestion and improve traffic flow | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Horrific murder’: Zelenskyy confirms ex-speaker Parubiy shot dead; vows probe – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Trump Is Dead’ viral trend: How it started, Trump’s health update, and what happens if a sitting president dies – Delhi News Daily
  • Mahagathbandhan’s Seat Math: Unity Or Discord In Bihar? – Delhi News Daily
  • When Mahesh Babu said “Bollywood can’t afford me”: A throwback to the ‘SSMB29’ actor’s controversial remark | Telugu Movie News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

Trump vs Musk: Billionaire investor Michael Moritz’ advice to Silicon Valley, ‘One of them is a medical monarch…’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Silicon Valley investor Michael Moritz took Elon Musk's side and said Trump's budget truly is abomination. Longtime Silicon Valley investor…

5 Min Read
World News

US deportation: First flights depart from Florida; 100 detainees leave ‘Alligator Alcatraz’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

The first deportation flights from Florida’s newly established immigration detention centre in the Everglades have begun, Governor Ron DeSantis announced…

7 Min Read
World News

Saudi Arabia wins fifth overall medal with bronze at 2025 International Nuclear Science Olympiad in Malaysia | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Students undergo intensive training programs organized by Mawhiba, in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, KACST, and K.A.CARE to prepare…

6 Min Read
World News

Netanyahu, Trump ditch Gaza ceasefire talks – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Netanyahu, Trump ditch Gaza ceasefire talks (Pic credit: AP) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump appeared…

3 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?