Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: Trump’s nod to Europe on a future peace force for Ukraine vastly improves its chances of success – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > Business > Trump’s nod to Europe on a future peace force for Ukraine vastly improves its chances of success – Delhi News Daily
Business

Trump’s nod to Europe on a future peace force for Ukraine vastly improves its chances of success – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: August 14, 2025 1:59 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


The greenlight given by President Donald Trump on U.S. backup for a European-led force to police any future peace agreement in Ukraine vastly improves the likelihood it might succeed.

European leaders said Trump offered his backing during a call they held ahead of his summit with his Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday.

The effectiveness of the operation, drawn up by the so-called coalition of the willing of around 30 countries supporting Ukraine, hinges on U.S. backup with airpower or other military equipment that European armed forces do not have, or only in short supply.

EU leaders regularly have underlined how the United States is “crucial” to the success of the security operation dubbed Multinational Force Ukraine. But the Trump administration has long refused to commit, perhaps keeping its participation on hold as leverage in talks with Russia.

After a meeting Wednesday between Trump and European leaders, European Council President Antonio Costa welcomed “the readiness of the United States to share with Europe the efforts to reinforce security conditions once we obtain a durable and just peace for Ukraine.”

ET logo

Live Events


French President Emmanuel Macron said Trump had insisted NATO must not be part of these security guarantees, but the U.S. leader agreed “the United States and all the (other) parties involved should take part.” “It’s a very important clarification,” Macron said. Trump did not publicly confirm he would allow U.S. backup, and no details of possible U.S. support were made public, but U.S. Vice President JD Vance sat in on the coalition meeting for the first time. The Multinational Force Ukraine More than 200 military planners have worked for months on ways to ensure a future peace should the war, now in its fourth year, finally halt. Ukraine’s armed forces also have been involved, and British personnel have led reconnaissance work inside Ukraine.

The exact size of the force has not been made public, although Britain has said it could number 10,000 to 30,000 troops. It must be enough to deter Russian forces, but also of a realistic size for nations that shrank their militaries after the Cold War and are now rearming.

The “reassurance” force’s mission “will be to strengthen Ukraine’s defenses on the land, at sea, and in the air because the Ukrainian Armed Forces are the best deterrent against future Russian aggression,” U.K. Defence Secretary John Healey told lawmakers last month.

“It will secure Ukraine’s skies by using aircraft,” Healey said, “and it will support safer seas by bolstering the Black Sea Task Force with additional specialist teams.”

Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey launched that naval force a year ago to deal with mines in Black Sea waters.

The force initially will have its headquarters in Paris before moving to London next year. A coordination headquarters in Kyiv will be involved once hostilities cease and it deploys.

The impact of US participation European efforts to set up the force have been seen as a first test of the continent’s willingness to defend itself and its interests, given Trump administration warnings that Europe must take care of its own security and that of Ukraine in future.

Still, U.S. forces clearly provide a deterrent that the Europeans cannot muster.

Details of what the U.S. might contribute were unknown, and Trump has changed his mind in the past, so it remains to be seen whether this signal will be enough to persuade more countries within the coalition to provide troops.

Greece has publicly rejected doing so. Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said last month that those discussions were “somewhat divisive” and distracted from the goal of ending the war as soon as possible.

Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has said Rome won’t contribute troops, but she previously has underlined the importance of working with the U.S. on ending the conflict and called for the participation of an American delegation in force coordination meetings.



Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article EXCLUSIVE: India to boycott Pakistan in Asia Cup? Harbhajan Singh says, ‘Khoon aur paani ek saath nahi beh sakte’ – Delhi News Daily
Next Article ‘Trump is shocked by insult from best friend’: Indian-origin venture capitalist says India should be nice to him; ‘Promise to buy…’ – Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • ‘Worse Than British Raj’: Dakshina Kannada MP Slams Congress For ‘Emergency-Like’ Curbs On Festivities – Delhi News Daily
  • Madharaasi – Official Malayalam Trailer – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Trapped in burning building’: Indonesia protests turn violent; 3 killed in blaze during stir | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Would be disaster if … ‘: Donald Trump doubles down on tariffs after US court calls them illegal; what next? – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Forcibly removed’: Senator Ron Wyden warns against Trump admin’s plan to deport over 600 Guatemalan children | World News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

Business

Sri Lotus Developers shares surge 4% after a strong market debut – Delhi News Daily

Shares of Sri Lotus Developers made a strong debut on the stock exchanges today and extended their gains shortly after…

3 Min Read
Business

Nithin Kamath on why Zerodha has intentionally held back on enabling AI-driven order placement – Delhi News Daily

Even as fintech companies scramble to add AI features in their broking platforms, Zerodha has intentionally held back from enabling…

3 Min Read
Business

Two Sharp with ET: China blocks farm inputs, bullet train gear; Sensex surges 1,000 pts on oil drop – Delhi News Daily

China has quietly stopped clearing speciality fertiliser shipments to India, risking high-value crop output. It’s also holding back German tunnel…

1 Min Read
Business

“Iran has to get back into world order flow…”: US President Trump – Delhi News Daily

US President Donald Trump on Friday (US local time) reiterated how the nuclear sites in Iran were "obliterated" and said…

6 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?