Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: UK immigration crackdown: Migrants may face over 30-year waits to settle in Britain — all you need to know – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > UK immigration crackdown: Migrants may face over 30-year waits to settle in Britain — all you need to know – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
World News

UK immigration crackdown: Migrants may face over 30-year waits to settle in Britain — all you need to know – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: November 20, 2025 7:29 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


UK immigration crackdown: Migrants may face over 30-year waits to settle in Britain — all you need to know
Under Britain’s revised immigration framework, certain migrants may find themselves on a lengthy journey towards permanent residency, facing wait times that could stretch to three decades. Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood emphasized that gaining settlement is a hard-won privilege based on contributions, rather than a guaranteed right.

The UK government unveiled a sweeping overhaul of immigration rules that could leave some migrants waiting as long as 30 years before they are allowed to settle permanently in Britain. Home secretary Shabana Mahmood said the aim was to restore public confidence in the system by ensuring settlement is a “privilege” earned through contribution and integration.Under the proposals, anyone who first arrived illegally, such as by small boat or by overstaying a visa, will face the toughest penalties. “It is proposed that an increase in the qualifying period should apply where the applicant originally entered the UK illegally, or where the applicant originally entered as a visitor. This would mean, for example, that a person who entered the UK illegally could have a route to settlement as high as 30 years.”The reforms would apply to nearly two million people who came to the UK after 2021, according to the Daily Mail. For most legal migrants, the standard qualifying time for Indefinite Leave to Remain will rise from five to ten years. Those in lower skilled jobs, such as care assistants or roles that do not require a degree, will face a 15 year baseline. If they have claimed benefits for more than a year, the wait could stretch to 25 years. Migrants who claimed welfare support for less than twelve months would see an additional five year delay.The package introduces further conditions. Applicants will need a clean criminal record, at least three years of National Insurance payments, no outstanding debt to the government for visas or NHS (National Health Service) costs, and English language skills equivalent to A level.Some groups will qualify faster. Doctors and nurses in the NHS will still be able to settle after five years. Higher rate taxpayers will receive a five year discount, and those paying the top 45 per cent bracket will be able to qualify in as little as three years.Mahmood said migration levels in recent years had been “unprecedented” and warned that the issue risked fuelling division. “To settle in this country forever is not a right, but a privilege. And it must be earned,” she told MPs. The changes will not affect EU citizens with existing settled status, family members of British nationals or people covered by special routes such as those from Hong Kong.





Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Fire disrupts COP30 climate summit in Brazil – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Next Article Adin Ross causes storm online after announcing Nick Fuentes recognition in major event with Zack Asmongold – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Assam Congress Claims Bhupen Borah Withdrew Resignation, He Says ‘Not Yet’ – Delhi News Daily
  • Imports up 19% in January as India’s trade deficit widens to $34.68 bn – Delhi News Daily
  • ‘Do well, kid, I am rooting for you’: Kangana Ranaut pens heartfelt note for ‘Dhurandhar’ star Sara Arjun | Hindi Movie News – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily
  • Assam To Kerala, Divided The Congress Stands: Decoding Party’s Turmoil Across 4 Poll Battlegrounds – Delhi News Daily
  • Fortis Healthcare maintains strong growth momentum, eyes expansion – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

Israel-Iran war: Attack comes at a moment of weakness for Iran’s proxies – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

For four decades, Iran poured billions of dollars, weapons and military minds into a grand project: building up a network…

4 Min Read
World News

Pakistan to create new paramilitary force ahead of protests by Imran Khan’s party – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

The announcement came after PTI party said it would stage nationwide protests starting on Aug 5, the second anniversary of…

5 Min Read
World News

‘Peace from…’: Mark Carney praises Donald Trump for India – Pakistan ceasefire; calls him a ‘transformative’ President – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

Donald trump and Mark Carney (left), PM Modi (agencies) Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney lavished praise on US President Donald…

6 Min Read
World News

6-year-old girl sold into marriage with 45-year-old in Afghanistan; Taliban intervenes: ‘Wait until she’s nine’ | World News – Times of India – Delhi News Daily

6-year-old girl sold into marriage with 45-year-old in Afghanistan (AI-generated representative image) A harrowing case from Afghanistan’s Helmand province has…

4 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?