Sign In

Delhi News Daily

  • Home
  • Fashion
  • Business
  • World News
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Reading: ‘Inappropriate humour, poor judgement’: UK information commissioner John Edwards quits after workplace probe – Delhi News Daily
Share

Delhi News Daily

Font ResizerAa
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Delhi News Daily > Blog > World News > ‘Inappropriate humour, poor judgement’: UK information commissioner John Edwards quits after workplace probe – Delhi News Daily
World News

‘Inappropriate humour, poor judgement’: UK information commissioner John Edwards quits after workplace probe – Delhi News Daily

delhinewsdaily
Last updated: June 19, 2026 12:12 pm
delhinewsdaily
Share
SHARE


Contents
‘Position became untenable’Probe triggered suspension of dutiesGovernment: Conduct fell below expected standardsWatchdog under pressure over data protection recordEdwards defends legacy
‘Inappropriate humour, poor judgement’: UK information commissioner John Edwards quits after workplace probe

John Edwards has resigned as the UK’s Information Commissioner after an independent workplace investigation found there was a “case to answer” regarding allegations about his conduct.In a statement announcing his departure, Edwards admitted that some of his attempts at humour were “inappropriate and caused offence”, adding that he had exercised “poor judgement” on certain occasions.

‘Position became untenable’

The regulator, who has led the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) since January 2022, said he had informed Technology Minister Ian Murray of his decision to step down as both Information Commissioner and Chair of the Information Commission with immediate effect.“While I have not agreed with how that investigation has been conducted, I accept that my position has become untenable,” Edwards said in a statement posted on LinkedIn.He added that he did not want to become a distraction to the watchdog’s work at a time when the regulator faces growing responsibilities around artificial intelligence, data protection and online privacy.

Probe triggered suspension of duties

Edwards had already stepped back from his role in February after an independent investigation into HR-related matters was launched. Earlier this month, the ICO confirmed the probe had concluded and determined there was a “case to answer”, resulting in Edwards being temporarily stripped of his remaining responsibilities pending further proceedings.Neither the ICO nor the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT) publicly disclosed details of the allegations.

Government: Conduct fell below expected standards

Following the resignation, a DSIT spokesperson said the government expects the highest standards of conduct from senior public officials.“Mr Edwards has acknowledged that his conduct fell below these standards,” the spokesperson said, confirming his immediate departure from the role.For now, Deputy Commissioner and Chief Executive Paul Arnold will continue carrying out the commissioner’s statutory duties until a successor is appointed.

Watchdog under pressure over data protection record

The resignation comes amid mounting criticism of the ICO’s handling of data protection complaints.Campaign groups Good Law Project and Open Rights Group (ORG) have recently challenged the regulator, accusing it of failing to adequately investigate thousands of complaints from members of the public.Reacting to Edwards’ exit, ORG Executive Director Jim Killock said the government should use the opportunity to appoint a stronger regulator committed to enforcing data protection laws, including against government departments.

Edwards defends legacy

Despite the controversy, Edwards said he remained proud of his tenure and the work carried out by ICO staff.“While I will no longer be able to continue this work in my current role, my commitment to the principles, values and objectives that have guided my professional life remains unchanged,” he said.



Source link

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Business Standard Jio to step up communications game with indigenous satellites: Akash Ambani – Delhi News Daily
Next Article IPO-bound Advit Jewels plans 30 retail showrooms under Rambhajo brand in 3 years – Delhi News Daily
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Slack Code Introduced to Help Teams Build Software With AI Agents – Delhi News Daily
  • India aiming for $100 billion gems and jewellery exports by 2040: Commerce Secretary – Delhi News Daily
  • Netflix South Indian Movies 2026: 5 Upcoming And Streaming Films To Watch – Delhi News Daily
  • Two Belgian climbers vanished in the Alps in 1992; melting ice has finally revealed their remains 34 years later – Delhi News Daily
  • Services drive recovery in India’s pvt sector activity in August: Flash PMI – Delhi News Daily

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

You Might Also Like

World News

‘I am as American as…’: Indian-origin man trolled after posting girlfriend’s photo of voting in Virginia redistricting election – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

An Indian-origin man was trolled and asked to go back to India after he posted a photo of his girlfriend…

3 Min Read
World News

Over $580,000 forfeited in Australian visa fraud crackdown; man jailed for submitting false migration documents – Delhi News Daily

More than $580,000 has been seized by Australian authorities following an investigation into a visa fraud scheme linked to a…

2 Min Read
World News

More than 1,75,000 visas revoked so far in Trump’s second term: Majority due to criminal activities, DUI – Delhi News Daily

When the State Department revokes the legal status of migrants and deems them illegal, it is called visa revocation. The…

5 Min Read
World News

King Charles Iii: In Congress speech, King Charles urges US-UK reset – The Times of India – Delhi News Daily

President Trump, First Lady Melania Trump welcome King Charles III, Queen Camilla at White House during state visit King Charles…

5 Min Read

Delhi News Daily

© Delhi News Daily Network.

Incognito Web Technologies

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?